Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Confession...

So Random House Library Services have started a blog, and it's actually quite interesting. The staff there takes turns blogging, and so far so good... Anyway, I quite enjoyed blogger David's "What I haven't read: A Confessional." Here's a bit of it:

One of my favorite Mark Twain aphorisms is, “A classic is something that everyone wants to have read but no one wants to read.” I agreed wholeheartedly. I ran into a friend on the train this morning, and told her that I’ve decided to take on Crime and Punishment. She gasped and said “WHY?” and I said, “Because I haven’t read it, and I feel like I should.” C & P, though, is just one of many I could say that about. Here’s my list of my most embarrassing haven’t-reads:

Catcher in the Rye, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Moby Dick, The Scarlet Letter, The Grapes of Wrath, Invisible Man, Animal Farm, Beloved, Heart of Darkness, A Farewell to Arms, Tropic of Cancer, Huckleberry Finn, A Tale of Two Cities, The Iliad, Pride and Prejudice (or any other Austen), Mrs. Dalloway, Brave New World, Anna Karenina, War & Peace, The Lord of the Rings, Lady Chatterly’s Lover…and possibly the most dangerous, job-security-wise, The DaVinci Code.

This makes me happy for two reasons:
  1. I constantly feel inadequate when I realize how many "classics," whether modern or actual classic, I haven't read. So it's nice to see another professional in my boat. My years in high school were spent reading "chick lit" (hey - I'm not knocking it.. no sirreee) and I've been brushing up on the latest random fiction and YA for the past couple of years, picking up a few "should-have-reads" along the way.

  2. I've actually read several on his list! Go me! Ok fine, only like a few (Da Vinci Code, Catcher in the Rye, Huck Finn, Scarlett Letter, P&P) of them. But still!
So anyway, obviously this guy's list, save for the five aforementioned books, is a tell-tale on my own embarrassing list. Seriously. But here the Top 10 "must-reads" that I actually PLAN to get to, but have not:
  1. Absalom, Absalom! by Faulkner (he makes the "must-read" list here in the South
  2. The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
  3. 1984 by Orwell
  4. The Electric Kool-Aide Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
  5. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  6. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
  7. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  8. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  9. The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas

    and the kicker.... you are gonna die when you realize I haven't actually READ this:
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    ....you are gonna die when you realize I haven't actually READ this:
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

  10. GONE WITH THE WIND (ohhhhh the shame!)

So I must ask - what are your most shameful "haven't-reads"? Obvi this only applies to my fellow bookies. :)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Othello would be mine...Does Shakespeare count?

Holley T said...

KT cOnStAnTlY hounds me about not having read Austen and Dickens...eh, I just don't enjoy the literature of that time period in general but I will gut it out one of these days!