Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I woke up happy this morning.

I'll go ahead and apologize for my over-wordiness. I'm just feeling... inspired. And yes, a little cheesy. But what's new?

I am absolutely overwhelmed following last night's events. Brought to tears continually. This is such a beautiful moment in American history, and I am proud to have witnessed it, and to have actively participated in it by voting for Barack Obama yesterday.

Now, I've never claimed to be a political expert. I find myself constantly bogged down by the issues and the "he saids," and the constant bickering disheartens me to no end. But I knew enough yesterday to confidently make an informed decision, and I decided that Barack Obama stands for what will be best for me, and what will be best for this country.

The sky was bright this morning when I woke, and my first thought was one of hope for the day. Which makes sense since "hope" was something on my mind all of last night. I hear they were dancing in the streets and shooting fireworks in NYC, they rolled Toomer's in Auburn. But I must admit, however, that mixed with all of the bright and shiny hope and inspiration and excitement, I was disheartened by the words of others who did not feel the same way as me. I expected a backlash, and this campaign has raised so many issues that I don't know why I didn't expect one as ugly as it's been, but I'm still surprised by what I've seen and read and heard. We are all Americans. We believe in America. Or at least we should. But this is why I hate politics... it brings out the absolute worst in people.

But I digress. I got on here to rant about hope and inspiration. Many people have called me an idealist, as if that's a bad thing. And I've been told that "it's not feasible to think that that much change can be good." Well to that, I say this. Our founding fathers were nothing, if not idealists. This country was founded on hope, optimism, and idealism. And change... is nothing but good. Without the vast changes our country has experienced, this election would not have been possible. As a straight, white, Christian woman... I realize I don't fit into many minority groups. I've not experienced persecution directly. To me, this election was not about race or religion (though I'll admit that most of the tears I shed last night were out of pride for how far this country has come, and for those who are finally seeing a light in the end of a very long and dark tunnel), but about attitude. It's about the attitude that we are all Americans. At the end of the day, regardless of our skin color, our religion, or where we live... we come from a background that has prospered on hope, on love, and on an optimism that dammit, we are America, and we do things differently here. So let's do things differently for once.

More than anything, I urge America to move forward, to put aside our differences and rally together for our country. To keep our eyes and minds and hearts open and give this man a chance. Because right now he IS America. He represents the American Dream, the pick-yourself-up-and-fight-like-hell-for-what-you-believe-in. And so many people saw that and voted for the very first time in their lives, because they believed. I don't understand how anyone can ignore the awesomeness of what we've witnessed. This is a beautiful thing, people. Please don't miss it.

Yes we can. Yes we did. And YES WE WILL!

1 comment:

MattL said...

My dear sweet idealistic friend,

We will have to agree to agree on this.
The 21st Century is a mighty fine time to be alive.
Big love on your beautiful head!

~Matt