Thursday, June 11, 2009

I've got cake on the brain...

My BFF and roommate Rebecca is a teacher, and right now I love/hate her because she has the summer off and is spending her days leisurely exercising, reading, catching up, and cooking. But ohhhh the cooking. Ladyfriend has been spoiling me rotten with homemade fish tacos, bacon-topped chicken, and lots of other goodies. And oohhhh the desserts. She made an awesome icebox cake recently, as well as a homemade strawberry shortcake, and let me tell ya - she is part of the reason that my dieting hasn't been quite as successful as I had hoped. ANYWAY - so it's fitting that recently I've come across quite a few interesting things in the cake world.


First, let me start this by saying I LOVE to make (or have made for me) cheesy birthday cakes. I'm a big fan of using Photoshop and putting pictures on cakes and embarrassing the hell out of my friends and family. CakeWrecks (my favorite blog of all time) would have a heyday with some of my creations. Anyway, I totally want this pan:


And you can totally buy me one from Amazon for just $12.95.



-------------------
Next, the Ketchup Cake. Yes, seriously. Reminds me of when I was in Costa Rica and first discovered ketchup-flavored potato chips and the like. I realize that to some people, this is a dream come true, and to those people I say.... W. T. F.

Here's the recipe if you happen to be one of the crazies who's into putting ketchup in your cake batter. I can't help but be reminded of the episode of Friends when Rachel puts beef in the trifle... can't you just hear Joey? "What's not to like? Icing... gooood. Ketchup... gooooood." Hehe.

(Skip to 3:45 in the clip, if you don't know the reference... and if you don't - shame on you!)







-------

And last, but certainly not least, please check out all the AWESOME cakes inspired by children's books at CakeWrecks. (They display the best cakes, as in the ones that are actually fantastic and made by incredibly talented cake decorators each Sunday.) Here's my favorite!



And that's all I've got for now! Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

RRB said...

Excuse me. That was turkey-bacon topped chicken! Sorry for crashing your diet. :(