Friday, April 2, 2010

[30-Day Song Challenge] Day 5 - Can you dig it?

Day 5 - A Song That Reminds You of Someone

I have such a significant relationship with music, and I share this relationship with so many of my friends and family. Which makes this one difficult for me. I could more easily name you a song to go along with every person significant in my life than to actually just think of one song to remind me of just one of them.

But I think I know just the song. Gonna mix it up a little with...

"Whoomp There It Is" by Tag Team

(Don't you love that this is a video taped from MTVJams?) Oh I went there. 1993, baby. And though I'll admit I don't exactly hear Tag Team on the radio often, whenever the iPod is on shuffle and I hear the glorious words of intro (PARTY PEEEEPULLLLLLL) to this 90s masterpiece...  I can't help but think of Laura (with me in the very fitting of us picture below), who I'd known a good six or seven years before the song was released. (Well, as much as a 5-year-old can truly "know" someone.) Regardless, it was not until 1998, when we had just turned 16 and gotten our own cars and the freedom to dance within them... while driving around "The Circle" in our hometown... that we discovered "The Hairdryer." And "The Lipstick." And a very literally translated dance move to the "Can you dig it? We can dig it!" part of the song. Again, while 16-year-old-driving. And yes, 11 years later, we still rock the same moves. To even worse songs. Nothing epitomizes our relationship better than some whoomp shacka lacka. (Oh yeah, we can dig it.)

 

1 comment:

Brooke said...

HAHAHAHA! This post is too funny! I love both of you girls!