Wednesday, April 21, 2010

[30-Day Song Challenge] Day 6 - Half Awake

Day 6 - A song that reminds you of Somewhere


The National - "Fake Empire"


I heard The National (Boxer) for the first time in my friend Ryan's car, as we were driving around Blue Ridge, Ga., after spending the day tubing down the Toccoa River. Ryan is a horrific driver, and I was scared for my life, but I also remember taking in the scenery and as cheesy as it sounds, feeling like we were on an adventure. It was one of those perfect summer days in North Georgia. Blue skies, green mountains, a bit of a breeze. We were sunburned and exhausted and water-logged... but happy. You know that feeling? Anyway, Boxer was playing in the background, and I remember "Fake Empire" coming on. The slow-build drums just got me. The whole album is great, and I'm looking forward to their new album coming out in a few weeks. Anyway, whenever I listen to any of their songs, I think of Blue Ridge and the cabins my friends and I have rented for white water rafting trips. Good times.

No comments: