Tuesday, July 6, 2010

[30-Day Song Challenge] Day 29 - song from childhood

Day 29 - A Song from my childhood
There's no way I can pick just one. I was constantly surrounded by music growing up. I remember Elvis, Conway Twitty, Gloria Estefan, MoTown, Beegees, Rockin' to the '50s (which was the name of an actual cassette tape we listened to on trips). Ohhhhh Donna, ohhhh Donnna... You name it. Here are some favorites.


Go West - "King of Wishful Thinking"
Who didn't jam out to the Pretty Woman soundtrack (on cassette tape, of course)? I also had no clue until today what the band's name was who sang this or that they were white dudes.
(Is it weird that I find that disappointing?) 

"Kokomo" performed by the Muppets
I think I had this on VHS somewhere. Love me some Muppets. And loved the Beach Boys version.

New Kids on the Block - "Please Don't Go Girl"
This was my first concert, when I was in the 2nd grade. I was in love with Joey Joe. (Gosh that voice made me swoon as much as any 8-year-old can.) I also refuse to acknowledge them as NKOTB.

Dolly Parton - "Time for Me to Fly"
Oh Dolly. Words can't express my love for this woman.
And how thankful I am that I was introduced to her at such an early age.

Whitney Houston - "I Will Always Love You"
Whenever my friends and I had pageants or put on plays, I distinctly remember oh-so-dramatically sitting down in a chair and belting this out, sans accompaniment of any kind, as my talent. 27-year-old me realizes that Whitney should not even be done by the best of singers at the drunkest of karaoke bars. But 10-year-old me never got that memo. Also, I feel the need to rewatch The Bodyguard.



The Little Mermaid - "Part of Your World"
No child of the 80s's list would be complete without her favorite song from a Disney movie. Here's mine.

No comments: