Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I miss the 90's

I'm feeling extremely reminiscent of high school these days. Not that I EVER wish to go back and relive it, but the idea of being so free and careless, with all of today's responsibility far far ahead of me is something I will for forever long.

I spent my teen years in the 90s, and I miss that music. My friend Colin's recent post about an ill-fated drive to see Third Eye Blind brought me back, and I immediately think about Dave Matthews Band, Matchbox 20, Train, Live, and Our Lady Peace. Sure, I realize most of these bands still exist and some even thrive, but the 90s were surely their hey-day. I'm brought back to summers at the beach in Panama City, dancing like fools at Teddy Tucker's out on the bay. I remember listening to "Meet Virginia" and riding around in my friend Mandy's Jeep Wrangler with the top down. It's funny how at times your memories seem to be viewed through some cheesy "make everything happy and gleeful and problem-free" glass. It definitely wasn't like that for any of us, but the music still brings me back to the good times.

This was one of my favorites:


And on that same note, I rewatched Clueless the other day. It had been a while since I'd seen it, but I could still quote it. I miss Brittany Murphy. Hope she's rollin' with the homies up there somewhere. I digress.

 Why should I listen to you anyway? You're a virgin... who can't drive.

What I DIDN'T remember or, rather, didn't recall was all the more "adult" references I never picked up on. And modern culture stuff. I came across a good list here of jokes missed. I hadn't a clue that when Cher was making fun of Josh's "crybaby college music" that Radiohead's "Creep" was playing in the background. The irony, right? And when Super Stoner Skateboarder Travis goes to make a donation to Cher's charity drive, he brings a bong. What did I think that WAS back in the day? Who knows. Anyway, I got a good laugh out of it and am newly inspired to rewatch some good 90s teen films. Can't Hardly Wait... 10 Things I Hate About You.... What else?

And on another somewhat related note, remember this?


That video is classic. And apparently controversial. I love that the "lyrics" of the song, aside from the chorus, come straight from an actual "Teenage Guide to Charm and Popularity." I'd like to see someone do a project on that. Jamie from Pennsylvania, eat your heart out. (See my post on the Seventeen Magazine Project for the reasoning behind my snarkiness.) And for those of you who aren't familiar, they've released some other great songs in the past decade.

3 comments:

April said...

I love this post! Man, I used to love Our Lady Peace, too. And I feel the same way about Clueless that you do...rewatching it years later, there are so many things that I missed the first time around. Ha, and when I am watching Law & Order I can't believe that was the guy that left Cher in the parking lot where she got robbed.

Ohhhh! Nada Surf is one of my favorite bands of all-time :-) Makes me ill when people think they are a one-hit wonder - they have so many amazing albums!

Uhmm...yep said...

Speaking of things we missed in the 90's...go back and listen to (or read) the lyrics for Semi Charmed Life. I used to blare that song riding in the car with my parents. We'd all sing along (do do do dodado dado). Little did we know it was about a crystal meth addiction and whoring yourself out for crack...TRUE STORY. In fact, most of their lyrics reference the seedier side of life.

the more you know...right?

RRB said...

I want to rewatch Clueless with you!