Friday, September 24, 2010

"Call me shallow but it's the [bleeping] truth"

I watched High Fidelity with my parents over the weekend. Jon Cusack easily edges anyone out as my favorite actor, and I think this was the movie to give him that edge way back in the day. This may or may not be due to how much I dig his character. I would, without hesitation, date and marry Rob Gordon and happily spend the rest of my life holed running a record store with him by day and holed up in some crappy apartment, smoking cigarettes and arguing over our Top Fives, by night.

Rob is disappointed by my healthy collection of Disney soundtracks.

So I finally actually purchased a copy and brought it home with me for the weekend. Within five minutes, after saying "You know... that Jack Black is a funny dude, but he's super annoying," my dad conked out. Mom gave up after 10 minutes, saying "Jon Cusack is obviously an acquired taste, and not one I've acquired." Who are they? Did I really come from them?

Anyway, there's a quote in the movie I love, that I somehow had forgotten:

"...What really matters is what you like, not what you are like...
Books, records, films -- these things matter. Call me shallow, but it's the f*cking truth."

I totally get this, without a doubt. Of course, being a real person and a good/nice Christian person and all, I certainly don't judge anyone for their tastes. I recognize that it's what's inside that counts and blah blah blah. But I will totally pass you by if you have absolutely no interests in these realms. They don't have to be the same as mine, by any means. I'm not a snob. You can read trashy romance novels til you're blue in the face or listen to Adam Lambert all day... at least you're excited about something and enriching your mind a bit. (A bit.) And sure, if I like you enough I'll try to steer you to more, um, advantageous avenues... but in the end, one of my philosophies has always been: Never apologize for what you like. I'll happily admit there are some things I love that 98% of of you will want to barf over. Plus, I've ready many a trashy romance novel and am currently in the process of purchasing tickets for Lady Gaga... my tastes know no bounds. How can I feasibly judge you for yours? (Except I secretly kinda do, but only a little bit... I'm kidding... or am I?)

However, if I recognize in you a kindred spirit in terms of WHAT you like... you've made a friend for life. If I hear you say you like Ryan Adams or Mumford and Sons and also quote Elizabethtown and are also dying to go to the Wizarding World of  Harry Potter and have your shelves full of great Southern novels and children's fantasy books... I'll probably marry you on the spot. We can make it work. (Actually I think I just described Sara Beth... unfortunately we are both far too boy crazy for that to ever happen.)

Am I alone in this? I guess at least Nick Hornby (author of High Fidelity, the novel on which the movie was based) got it. I'd love to sit down and have a conversation with that man.

2 comments:

Uhmm...yep said...

that is one of my fb quotes.

read the book. it's better than the movie...never heard that before huh?

Lauren said...

Never ever.

I actually have it very close to the top of my "to read" pile by my bed, but I may just move it to the top now.

And I'm just now seeing that yes it is! And a fine quote indeed, among many other greats. I will probably be adding to mine in about five minutes.