Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Best Weekend of 2011 So Far

I headed over to Atlanta this past weekend, to celebrate Sara Beth's birthday, visit with friends, and (what else?) see a show. What I didn't anticipate was discovering THE most legit honky tonk I've ever stepped foot in.

Friends, let me introduce you to Southern Comfort in Conley, Georgia, just south of Atlanta. And yes, this is coming from someone raised in southern Alabama and who lives in Nashville. At Southern Comfort, the waitresses call you sweetie and the old men just want to dance. The dance floor is huge, as are the hairdos and derrières. The country crooners on the stage played nothing but good old country, with a little Fleetwood Mac thrown in for good measure. I was in Heaven. In all seriousness, I'm beginning to think my version of Heaven is in some form of honky tonk.

Borrowed from southerncomfortbar.com
Here are a few pics I took (forgive the quality... it was dark and smoky inside):

First thing I see when I walk in. Cowboy band. Big fans. Jukebox. 
Dance floor. Can you see the dude with the black tshirt toward the middle? He was a STUD. 

It was a fun time. I wanna go back.

On Sunday, we donned our red and blue and MARTA'd over to a Braves game (my first since probably 1994 or so). Unfortunately we watched the Braves lose, but I did enjoy my stadium dog and big ole' Dr. Pepper. Got my Tomahawk Chop on.
Sara Beth has skills, plus a view of the rest of the nosebleeds.

But there really is nothing like the view from the cheap seats.

And seeing downtown Atlanta in the distance.


But my favorite part of the day was seeing the Avett Brothers, who played a free show at Turner Field after the game (the primary reason I ventured to ATL in the first place). Now, you all my remember I saw the Avetts on my birthday back in October at the Ryman, which was undoubtedly one of the best times I've ever had at a concert. Sunday rivaled it. We scurried down to get seats close to the field (it was free-for-all general admission after the game for the show), and had a pretty decent view. I was worried about the sound in the stadium, but those worries were in vain. The poor NC boys were hot and sweating up a storm, but mannnnn they sounded good. Nothing. NOTHING makes me dance and stomp and jump and scream and beat on chairs or railings or people around me with reckless abandon more than hearing the Avetts live. It's an unrivaled music experience for me that I cannot recommend more if you enjoy their music or any music with a banjo and fiddle.

Here's a pic the band posted on their Facebook. They are literally in air. Jumped around the whole time. They each have their own unique foot stomp/jump technique that is hard not to embody when you're watching.

Photo via Avett Brothers
And a video I took of them performing "Shame," one of my favorites. I tried to stand still, but it was quite difficult. Didn't even attempt another video.



They also played a good bit from I and Love and You. One of my favorite moments in their shows is when they sing the ending lines of "I and Love and You," and they, along with the audience, hold up three fingers during three words that became hard to say and count off I and Love and  You. It's pretty cool to see 25,000+ people all together so into something like that. You can see it really well in this video (not taken by me), from Sunday.



And a pretty cool image I stole from their fan photos on Facebook.

three words that became hard to say...
Followed the day with grilling out, card games, and sitting around listening to friends play music.

Best. Weekend. Ever.

No comments: