Friday, July 8, 2011

Red Rocket Blaze Over Cape Canaveral

Just minutes ago, NASA successfully launched Atlantis into space, its final space shuttle mission.

Atlantis prepared for launch yesterday, via NASA.gov

I'm listening to the live stream of affirmations that all is well as it flies away (at 15,000 miles an hour!!!), and I can't help but feel so very American. I'm reminded of watching fireworks Monday with friends, all oohing and aahing, with someone noting how rare these moments are that we all feel truly connected with everyone around us. Obviously I can't pretend to have grown up during the race for space. There have always been space shuttles and astronauts during my lifetime. I'm sad for a future without shuttle launches.

On another related note, I never did get to go to Space Camp in Huntsville, which is pretty much a must-do for any kiddo, and especially any kiddo growing up in Alabama. BUT - I just looked it up, and THEY HAVE SPACE CAMP FOR ADULTS! Who wants to fund a trip for me? I'm serious.

Regardless, I have chills and a big, goofy grin on my face after watching it take off. I feel nostalgic for days I only experienced through others' words in books like Rocket Boys, Homer Hickam's memoir about growing up in the Space Age with rocket science hopes and dreams. The movie October Sky was based on it. It's a good read.


So if you missed it, the video is here, and the final countdown begins at 59 minutes.

And I'll be listening to this for the rest of the day. It's a personal favorite and quite poignant today.

Saw the stars get smaller
Tiny diamonds in my memory
I know that victory is sweet
Even deep in the cheap seats

AMERICUH.

1 comment:

RRB said...

Keep rocking, sister girlfriend!