Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Does Anyone Remember Tony?

I first heard the song "Tony" when I was a cheerleader in high school, on the bus on the way out of town for a game. Did anyone outside of Alabama listen to the Live at the X Lounge albums back in the 90s? Friends of mine in Birmingham would pass the CDs down to us (they were recorded in the lounge of the Bham Rock Station WRAX, which is no longer on the air). You can read up on it here, including track lists, and you'll see how I was introduced to many artists way before they made it big (and even some who recorded during the height of their fame). I swear that this version of Sister Hazel's "All for You" provided most of the soundtrack to my high school years. Listen to it here.

Anyway, among the tracks, this one from Patty Griffin was always a favorite. She's said in concerts she wrote it about a kid she went to high school. And it's a bit more fitting now with all the attention paid to the "It Gets Better" campaign and anti-bullying. I love the line "I hated every day of high school/It's funny I guess that you did too/Funny how I never knew, but there I was sittin' right behind you."

Give it a listen. 



And then head on over to The Uncontainable Truth, where I talk more about my favorite Patty songs and gratitude.

No comments: