Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Emmylou Harris

Emmylou is one of my idols. While she's a beautiful and talented musician in her own right, the woman has a dedicated space in my heart for the songs/albums on which she has offered her timeless voice as a collaborator.


There are so many things I can say about her, but I'll let her voice and the songs do the talking. These are some of my all-time favorite songs, which you've heard me go on about before, but take a listen and pay attention to the angel in the background.

Ryan Adams "Oh My Sweet Carolina"
She plays on the original recording found on Heartbreaker, but perhaps you'll enjoy this recent recording:

Gram Parsons "Return of the Grievous Angel" : 


Bright Eyes (Conor Oberst) "Landlocked Blues" : 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaCFYqtvM8



and "We are Nowhere, but it's Now":


Dave Matthews - cover of Johnny Cash's "Long Black Veil"
May seem random, but this is nostalgia for me. Back in high school, this was the first time I remember hearing Emmylou... from the 1999 Johnny Cash tribute show



Don't even get me started on The Trio. Dolly, Emmylou, and Linda:

No comments: